Sunday, July 03, 2011

Fat children




















I was thinking...what title should I give this post.
And actually 'work, climbing' is actually all I do these days and yes, a bit more: studying (sometimes).
Yesterday I was working for Outdoor Westvoorne, my favourite outdoor sports company in the Netherlands ;) I was belaying kids, all day. On a campsite in the province called Zeeland (Sealand, down SW, close to the Belgian border)
And sometimes I wonder...why are all this kids so fat? Whats wrong? I'd been doing researches for my studies and every time I found that kids are getting fatter and fatter. With fat I mean not just a bit heavy, but having a 'blubber' tummy, legs that have their own rhythm when they try to run and arms that don't fit normal children's' watches as they're too thick.
What went wrong? What's up with all these parents? Don't they realise that when their 8 year old child tries to run they're actually slower then a 3 year old, that they waggle instead of run? Now with climbing it's worse, of course. They just can't get up the fairly easy wall. Some can't even see where they have to place their feet as their tummy is in the way.
Why, why parents, why?
They often have excuses, 'oh, I got a cramp in my arm', 'my leg is sore', 'it's too difficult', 'I'm scared of heights', 'you need to help me', 'pull, pull, Marianne, why don't you pull me up on the wall?'. But basically it's the lack of knowing how to move. Knowledge of how to get your body around on the wall.
Why, parents, why?
I think, having your child that fat is child abuse. And nobody ever dares to say that to a parent with a fat child. But I think we should tell them. It's getting worse every year. Children start to look like little pigs, being fed every hour, parents running around satisfying the ridiculous needs of a 'spoiled' (abused) child.
So sad...
So I always have a thing I tell children. It differs form day to day. It's always a compliment or encouragement, but today I had just one thing: girl/boy, you really should eat less candy and find a sports.
Sorry kids, couldn't help it, it was just so bad to see...
Today I tried to Google for a nice evening dinner and all I found was fat meat.
Now focus again on my vegetable garden and see if the carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, mais, pumkins, onions, leek and all other little plants are doing. :)
Enjoy your day. Fat free?
Oh, yes, you could expect a picture of a fat child, but I don't want to place a picture of an overweighted child on my blog as I find they can't help it. So just some vegetables here :)

No comments: